Xi Jinping Attends the 5th Summit of the Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia (CICA) and Delivers an Important Speech
On June 15, 2019 local time, the 5th Summit of the Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia (CICA) was held in Dushanbe, capital of Tajikistan. President Xi Jinping attended the CICA and delivered an important speech, stressing that we should build an Asia where countries enjoy mutual respect and trust and build a secure and stable Asia, a growing and prosperous Asia, an open and inclusive Asia and a cooperative and creative Asia. China will stay committed to peaceful development, opening-up for win-win outcomes, and practicing multilateralism to usher in a brighter future for Asia and beyond.
In the morning of local time, Xi Jinping arrived at the reception hall of the Kohi Navruz, and he was warmly welcomed by President Emomali Rahmon of Tajikistan.
Emomali Rahmon chaired the meeting. Leaders or representatives of CICA member states including Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Qatar, Russia, Sri Lanka, Turkey and Uzbekistan, as well as representatives of observer states and relevant international and regional organizations attended the meeting. The participants exchanged views on the theme of Shared Vision for a Secure and More Prosperous CICA Region, had in-depth discussions on international and regional issues of common interest, worked together for lasting peace and common prosperity in Asia and reached broad consensus.
Xi Jinping delivered an important speech titled Working Together for New Progress of Security and Development in Asia.
Xi Jinping pointed out that for the past 27 years, CICA has been committed to strengthening trust and coordination among its member states and to promoting security and stability in our region, thus making a valuable contribution to peace and development in Asia. I proposed, at the 2014 Shanghai Summit, a vision of common, comprehensive, cooperative and sustainable security, and called for exploring a security and development path that suits Asia and serves the common interests of all. My proposal found strong resonance. China will work with other member states to deepen cooperation across the board and take the CICA process to a new level.
Xi Jinping stressed that Asia is one of the most dynamic regions with great development potential. Asian countries also face some common challenges such as inadequate political trust, uneven economic development and prominent security and governance impediments. In 2015, I put forth the initiative of building an Asian community with a shared future. Under the current circumstances, we need to stay true to our goal, embrace the opportunities and address the challenges together, and collectively work for new progress of security and development in Asia.
- Building an Asia where countries enjoy mutual respect and trust is our common aspiration. We need to observe the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations (UN), and respect the sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of each country. A zero-sum mentality and protectionism must be rejected in favor of more policy communication and political trust, so that we can expand our strategic consensus.
- Building a secure and stable Asia is our common objective. Confrontation and alliances must be eschewed in favor of dialogue and partnership. We must find proper solutions to traditional and non-traditional security issues and, in particular, deal firmly with terrorism in all its forms. We must take effective preventive measures of various sorts to eradicate the breeding ground of extremist ideology and explore a regional security architecture suited to Asia's realities, one that will enhance universal security for us all.
- Building a growing and prosperous Asia is our common vision. We need to jointly promote trade and investment liberalization and facilitation, work on the follow-ups to the Second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation held in April this year, seek greater complementarity between our development strategies, and enhance all-round connectivity to boost high-quality growth of all countries.
- Building an open and inclusive Asia is our common pursuit. We need to implement the consensus reached at last month's Conference on Dialogue of Asian Civilizations, and promote equality, mutual learning, dialogue and mutual accommodation between civilizations. When it comes to civilizations, respect for diversity will replace a sense of superiority, harmonious co-existence will replace conflict, interaction and sharing will replace estrangement, and prosperity and progress for all will replace self-imposed isolation and ossification.
- Building a cooperative and creative Asia is our common need. We must break more new ground in theory, system, science and technology, and culture, among other areas, to find new solutions to old problems and good solutions to new ones. This way, we will be better able to address the various challenges facing Asia.
Xi Jinping pointed out that China is committed to developing good-neighborly and friendly ties with other Asian countries. As a member of the Asian family and a responsible major country in the global community, China will continue to build peace, contribute to development and uphold order in the world, and work for a new type of international relations and a community with a shared future for mankind.
First, China will stay committed to peaceful development and reject a beggar-thy-neighbor approach. China will continue to deepen its friendship and cooperation with other countries on the basis of the Five Principles of Peaceful Co-existence, pursue peaceful settlement to disputes with relevant countries over territorial sovereignty and maritime rights and interests, and support negotiated solutions to regional hotspot issues.
Second, China will stay committed to opening-up for win-win outcomes and share development opportunities with other countries. China will work with all other parties to make good use of the platform of Belt and Road cooperation to secure a sustained driver for our common development. Later this year, China will host the Second China International Import Expo to further facilitate access to the Chinese market.
Third, China will stay committed to practicing multilateralism to safeguard the international order underpinned by international law. China will work with other countries to advocate extensive consultation, joint contribution and shared benefits in global governance, and firmly uphold the UN-centered international system and the multilateral trading system with the WTO at its core. With regard to any problem that occurs on the economic and trade front, all sides need to act in the spirit of mutual respect and handle it appropriately through equal-footed dialogue and consultation in accordance with norms in international relations and multilateral trading rules, rather than resort to protectionism and unilateralism at every turn. By taking such a position, China is upholding the legitimate development rights and interests of all countries and, for that matter, fairness and justice in the world.
Xi Jinping stressed that let us join hands in a tireless pursuit of peace, stability and prosperity and usher in a brighter future for Asia and beyond. Xi Jinping's speech won warm applause.
Other CICA participants thanked China for its contributions to promoting dialogue and cooperation within the CICA framework during its previous chair. All sides agreed that they should continue to advance the CICA process based on Asia's realities, implement the confidence-building measures, seek common, comprehensive, cooperative and sustainable security, respect cultural diversity and build Asia into a harmonious region with lasting peace and prosperity.
CICA members reiterated that they adhere to the UN Charter and generally-accepted international laws and norms, uphold the efficient multilateralism with the UN at its core, fully support the principle of noninterference in each other's internal affairs, jointly build an open world economy and stand against protectionism in any forms. They also pledged to jointly combat international terrorism, extremism and transnational organized crimes, join efforts in addressing various risks and challenges, promote peace and stability in Asia and the world, strive to build a new type of international relations featuring mutual respect, fairness and justice, and win-win cooperation, and forge a community with a shared future for mankind.
A joint declaration of the 5th CICA summit was issued.
After the summit, Xi Jinping attended a welcome banquet held by Emomali Rahmon for leaders of various countries and heads of international and regional organizations attending the summit.
Ding Xuexiang, Yang Jiechi, Wang Yi and others attended the above activities.
Attends出席; 参加; 经常去，定期去; 注意; 专心; attend的第三人称单数
Summit最高点; 顶点; 山顶; 首脑会议; 峰会
Conference会议，研讨会; 讨论会，商讨会; 体育协会
Confidence信心; 信任; 信赖; 自信心; 把握; 肯定
CICA订约竞争条例（1984）(Competition in Contracting Act)
Delivers递送; 传送; 交付; 运载; 发表; 宣布; 发布; 履行诺言; 不负所望; 兑现; deliver的第三人称单数
Speech演说; 讲话; 发言; 说话的能力; 说话方式